C. S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity
During Lent, I hope you will join me on Wednesday evenings to discuss C. S. Lewis’ book, Mere Christianity. This book was formative in my understanding of Christianity. I read it before I entered seminary. I still find its thoughts, explanations, and writings to be one of the best doorways into a deeper understanding of what it means to be Christian.
Please sign up by emailing me (Pastor Long) or by calling the church office 301-932-0963.
- Dates: Wednesday’s in Lent (beginning 1 March and ending 5 April)
- Time 7:15pm (following Lenten worship) until 8:45pm
- Location: The School Library (directly across from the main office).
Overview: Mere Christianity(MC)
Preparation: Between now and March 1
- Purchase Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis prior to the first class if you do not already own it. I will be referring to the current edition: HarperOne, revised and enlarged edition, April 21, 2015, ISBN-10: 0060652926 or ISBN-13: 978-0060652920
- Download and print the “Small Group Guide”
- Read the Preface and Foreword to MC.
- Introduction to C. S. Lewis the short version, and the long version.
- Discussion of the Preface and Foreword to MC
- After class, read Book One MC
March 8: Book One—Right and Wrong
- Discussion of Book One, MC
- After class, read Book Two, MC
March 15: Book Two—What Christians Believe
- Discussion of Book Two, MC
- After class, read Book Three, MC
March 22: Book Three—Christian Behavior
- Discussion of Book Three, MC
- After class, read Book Four, MC
March 29: Book Four—Beyond Personality
- Discussion of Book Four, MC
- Read Screwtape proposes a Toast.
- Read the poem, On Being Human.
- Read the essay, Meditation in a Toolshed.